Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Bit of a Scare

Time seems to be passing so quickly yet so slow at the same time. I go back and forth between being very optimistic, excited, and enjoying this pregnancy; to terrified, feeling a sense of doom, and just ready for this to all be over with. I'm just ready to be at the end, and know that everything's okay.

We had a bit of a scare this week. I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

I woke up Wednesday morning with plans to have a relaxing day and I even had an hour long facial booked at a spa for that afternoon. My friend and I had been repainting my bedroom Monday and Tuesday (overly ambitious nesting at it's best) and I'd planned on taking it easy that day. Normally when I first wake up, Elise also starts rolling around in there within a few minutes of me being awake and gets progressively busier after I eat breakfast. Well, this morning I didn't feel her moving when I woke up. She also didn't move much after I ate. So I sat down and did my kick counts like I've been doing since we found out about her Nuchal Cord. Normally, even during her lazy times, I'll get 10 big movements within 30 or 40 minutes at the most. But this time, it took well over an hour to get only 6 unconvincing movements. I panicked. I quickly went to use my heart doppler. I quickly found her heart beat, but the reading was only 120 bpm and she's normally in the upper 150's. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't normally rely on my doppler's reading; but this time I believed it and it made me panic even more. I should also mention that I had also woken up with a headache. So, after the doppler reading I decided to take my blood pressure. It was 157/95 (normal blood pressure is around 120/80). I panicked even more. I just knew I had Pre Eclampsia again and something bad was about to happen.

When we lost Caroline, the only thing close to an answer that we received was my my diagnosis of Pre Eclampsia and even that wasn't a definite reason.

I called my OB's office right away and they had me come in for monitoring. My blood pressure had lowered a little when I got there, and Elise was monitored on a Non Stress Test for an hour. She did great and was moving more at that point. Nonetheless, my OB wasn't taking any chances and wanted me admitted to the hospital immediately for at least 24 hours to monitor Elise and to check for Pre Eclampsia.

We stayed all day, all night, and all of the following day. I had blood work done and a 24 hour urine collection to check for protein, which is a telling sign of Pre Eclampsia. While there, we also had an ultrasound done and Elise looked perfect. She weighs almost 5lbs 12oz at this point and has a ton of hair floating around in there! She did perfect on her biophysical profile too. But the best news of the day: no more Nuchal Cord! Thank God!

My lab work came back normal and once it was confirmed that I wasn't spilling protein, we were told we could go home or stay longer if it made us feel better to be there. I knew that I'd be able to rest more at home, so we left. But with orders that I was to be on bed rest until I can be seen in the office on Monday. So here I sit, and sit, and sit. But that's alright with me. My sweet husband has been amazing, and is taking such good care of me.

I think this latest scare has made my OB feel even more of a sense of urgency to get this baby delivered before anything else can happen. She's asked Allen and I to discuss over the weekend whether we'd be comfortable doing a lung maturity amniocentesis at 37 weeks. If the results come back "mature", then I'll be induced the next day. The more I research and talk it over with him, the more that we think this might be the best option for us. So we'll have lots of questions for her on Monday.

It's crazy to think that after all we've been through and all we've endured; we could have this sweet baby in our arms in just 2 weeks. It's mind blowing to me, I never thought I'd make it this far. I still have so far to go.

Now we just have to get through the next 2 weeks without any more scares. Easier said than done.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! You've really been through the ringer! I'm so glad your doc is vigilant, and praise God for no nuchal cord! Getting an amnio is a tough decision, and I hope you and DH are able to be at peace w/ya'lls decision. Very soon now you'll have her in your arms! So excited for you both!
    ~karen

    ReplyDelete